- The Farm
- The Bounty
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 cups of packed arugula leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cup of shelled walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 garlic clove peeled and minced (or 1 stalk of green garlic, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Brown 5 garlic cloves with their peels on in a dry (no oil) skillet over medium high heat until the garlic is lightly browned in places, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic from the pan, cool, and remove the skins.
- Toast the nuts in a pan over medium heat until lightly brown, or heat in a microwave on high heat for a minute or two until you get that roasted flavor. In our microwave it takes 2 minutes.
- Food processor method (the fast way): Combine the arugula, salt, walnuts, roasted and raw garlic into a food processor. Pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor. Remove the mixture from the processor and put it into a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Mortar and pestle method: Combine the nuts, salt and garlic in a mortar. With the pestle, grind until smooth. Add the cheese and olive oil, grind again until smooth. Finely chop the arugula and add it to the mortar. Grind up with the other ingredients until smooth.
Because the pesto is so dependent on the individual ingredients, and the strength of the ingredients depends on the season or variety, test it and add more of the ingredients to taste.
Makes 1 heaping cup.
Seared Radish Crostini
The New York Times
- 1 bunch radishes
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 thin slices crusty bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Remove leaves and stems from radishes; trim the tails. Cut larger radishes lengthwise into sixths and smaller radishes lengthwise into quarters.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon oil, radishes in a single layer (do not crowd) and salt and pepper. Cook radishes, without moving them, until they are lightly colored on undersides, about 3 minutes. Shake pan and continue cooking until tender, about 3 more minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in anchovies, garlic, red pepper and remaining oil. Reduce heat and simmer about 4 minutes.
- Brush each slice of toast with sauce and top with several radish wedges. Spoon additional sauce on top, sprinkle with parsley and serve.